An Intuitive Way to Author and Test Business Logic
50% of InRule users are not technical.
Why does that matter?
Unlike other platforms with limited ability to handle the challenges of creating business rules that address real world complexities, InRule enables enterprise-scale decisions across multiple business domains, no matter how complicated the policy or varied the source of data–all without necessarily requiring intervention from developer resources.
Eliminating hard-coded business rules allows subject matter experts to manage the logic and keep up with the speed of business–and frees up IT teams to focus on more technical initiatives.
Author Studio: Respond to Market Changes from Anywhere, Without Code
Author Studio’s web interface allows for agile updates to business logic without the need for code. Subject matter experts can author and edit business rules quickly and easily, using a variety of methods, including business language and decision tables. In addition, users can leverage InRule’s unique vocabulary feature—further accelerating decision automation.
The easy-to-use environment enables rapid enterprise scaling for business users and instant access to updated decisioning features with near zero downtime.
Author at the speed of business
Business leaders are assured teams can quickly pivot to capture additional share as the market or regulations dictate—without the cost of spinning up a new project each time.
- Utilize the type-ahead editor for a straightforward authoring experience
- Leverage InRule’s unique vocabulary feature to give your automated decisions greater domain specificity and shelter authors from complexity
Navigate a user interface designed for all authors
Automated logic based on regulations or policies can sometimes require hundreds or thousands of rules to handle all possible situations. Every feature of Author Studio is designed to make navigating this complexity effortless for subject matter experts.
- Change the execution order of rules as easily as reordering a playlist
- Navigate large, complex decision tables with unprecedented speed
- Author rules quickly and easily with the context-aware, menu-driven business language editor
- Move with confidence through the decision authoring lifecycle from anywhere
- Add descriptive metadata and control execution modes in the properties panel
Reduce Risk and Improve Accuracy
While ease of use delivers editing confidence out of the box, other features ensure newer users can make smart decisions safely.
- Ensure more accurate decisions with built-in guardrails like disabling certain actions when a decision table is filtered
- Share your work with a colleague with deep linking, allowing you to show precisely where you are in a rule application for instant access and collaboration before committing changes
- With validate on check-in, be confident the changes you’ve made will execute error-free
And if you want to know even more about authoring with Author Studio, check out our data sheet.
Write Business Rules with irAuthor
While business teams embrace Author Studio for easy authoring and instant access, more advanced users and developers can leverage InRule’s robust authoring tool, irAuthor.
irAuthor offers an intuitive interface that makes it fast and easy to write business rules and change them to reflect changing marketplace and customer needs. With irAuthor you can express simple or complex rules naturally, using a variety of rule types. You can also configure the rule writing environment to meet the needs of your technical and non-technical users.
InRule’s powerful irCatalog® creates a natural bridge between irAuthor and Author Studio.
Technical and non-technical users write business rules
- Write rules with an intuitive, menu-driven approach via the business language editor
- Easily update rules so that you can make changes as quickly as the market demands
- Streamline large sets of similarly structured rules with decision tables
- Express calculations and complex conditions with Excel-like syntax expressions
- Work in a familiar Microsoft Office-like environment
- Have rules perform a wide variety of actions from setting field values to calling web services
Set-up your rule authoring environment using existing resources
- Define the data schemas against which users can write rules—create them manually or import an existing database, XSD, or .Net Assembly
- Define endpoints for accessing resources like .NET libraries, databases and web services
Configure a rule authoring environment for your specific needs
- Customize the business language editor with vocabulary and rule templates that make the rule-writing experience specific to your industry and organization
- Extend irAuthor to create custom functionality using the irSDK authoring API
- Share or restrict parts of a rule application using irCatalog
Test Rules with irVerify
Accessible from inside irAuthor, irVerify enables you to confirm that your rules are executing as expected by testing them with the click of a button. With irVerify, rules can be tested as they are written, letting users know immediately whether they are returning the expected results. irVerify works without the need for a completed application or separate test environment.
A testing tool for rule authors
- Run rules and make sure the results are correct
- Enter data into fields or use saved test case scenarios
- Troubleshoot how values were calculated and rules were evaluated
A debugging tool and regression tester for power users and developers
- View timing for all aspects of rule execution with the performance report
- Run detailed rule traces to evaluate execution order and inputs/outputs
- Open rule traces to debug production environments
- Create regression test suites that include assertion, comparison, and performance tests
- Run regression tests and evaluate them visually
- Automate regression test runs with irSDK code or Windows PowerShell commands
Learn more by reading the InRule Decision Platform overview